Earlier I played bride with STP, now I’m talking about finding the perfect wedding outfit and getting wedding ready. What is it with all this wedding talk? A wedding is so far in my future. WHEW, okay–disclaimer, check.
When I was younger, I worried about being underdressed or overdressed going places if I wasn’t sure what to expect. I don’t worry about that these days (is that even a thing anymore??) but there’s no worse feeling than showing up somewhere and feeling totally uncomfortable because of your outfit. You either don’t feel good in it or it doesn’t go with the occasion like you had hoped.
Doing your research and asking the right questions (either to yourself or others–yes, it’s okay to be the crazy lady who talks to yourself) before heading out are v v important–especially for a wedding. A good guideline when debating the right wedding outfit is WWWWH:
- Who. Who is the couple? Would you consider them more fun, serious or traditional?Romantic? Sexy? Fancy, casual, all of the above? Who’s going to be there? Should grandmomma, granddaddy and uncle Bob see you in that sexy dress you really want to wear? Let your outfit be reflective of you (so you can feel like your best self) but also of the people you’re going to celebrate and honor.
- What. What kind of wedding are they having? What will the atmosphere be like? Black tie, bohemian, romantic, vintage, chic, elegant, urban, fairytale? THE OPTIONS ARE ENDLESS. Get a feel for it based on the who, their invitation, the location, their wedding page–do your research! What color are the bridesmaids wearing?
- When. Day? Night? Summer? Winter? Saturday? Sunday? Early? Late? On a holiday?
- Where. Is it an outdoor wedding? Indoor? Church, beach, backyard? Destination?
- How. Are they going all out? You can go all out! Are they holding back and keeping it low key for a simple statement wedding? Keep it low key with them. Also ask, how do my accessories for this dress or this dress change your look or the look you’re going for–sometimes those are a game-changer!
These are the things I asked myself when getting ready for my cousin’s wedding–first lesbian wedding of our family and it was history made, y’all! It was beautiful and magical to witness. Obviously I had to have the perfect wedding outfit for the occasion.
Wedding Outfit Ready
After going through all of these questions, I narrowed the scope of my outfit. It all came down to: fun and flirty. I ended up in this fun and flirty dress (instead of my black, snug, foxy, peplum cocktail dress, which I’m saving for a New Year’s wedding). The dress called for some fun curls, simple jewelry and a sexy but flirty shoe.
Ummmmm, when your mom’s shoe game is better than yours!
Get The Look!
Aaaaaaand this is what came out. Shop my clutch, shoes, this dress and similar dresses below. How do you get wedding ready? What’s your favorite wedding look? XOXO
Dress pictured here via Tobi — I’m wearing size small.
Sea Lily Clutch–shop similar adorable tortoise clutch by Sea Lily. They wholesale so you can’t shop it directly from them online but you can find places that sell it (I got mine from Scout Boutique in Asheville).
Shoes via Aldo. I’m obsessed with these and they’re actually comfortable, despite what it may look like. They come in two other colors and fit true to size–I’m usually a 7.5 and 7.5 was perfect.